What will our future RE teachers, chaplains, youth workers or missionaries be able to do when they leave us?
By the end of their time at St Mary's CofE (Aided) Primary School, our Year 6 children will have developed a deep and broad understanding about Christianity and other world faiths and religions through using 'Big Fat Questions'. The children will be able to express ideas through holding balanced and informed conversations about religious world views and beliefs.
By engaging with challenging key questions, they will explore and understand the impact of their learning through reflecting critically on the core concepts, making connections between stories and considering implications within their own and others' lives and cultures.
They will develop a religious literacy through a balance of theology, philosophy and Social and Human Sciences, an objective and informed critique of human existence and be understanding in a world that needs us to follow our values of 'Love and Wisdom', therefore demonstrating a respect for their own and others' spiritual and ethical convictions.
We implement the curriculum as seen below on the medium term plan.
We measure the impact of our curriculum through the following methods:
- Summative assessment of pupil discussions about their learning.
- Images of the children’s practical learning.
- Interviewing the pupils about their learning (pupil voice).
- Pupil’s books are scrutinised and there is the opportunity for a dialogue between teachers to understand their class’s work.
- Annual reporting of standards across the curriculum.