What will our musicians, composers, sound producers and sound technicians be able to do when they leave us?
Music can bring so much joy to us and others in so many different ways, such as concerts and shows, and we want our young people to feel confident that they have competent performing skills that will bring pleasure to others and to themselves.
We would like them to be able to express different emotions through their own compositions; they will have the compositional skills and knowledge to be able to create music for different occasions and feel that they have something to say musically to the world.
We also want our musicians to be able to appreciate music of all genres, to feel that they have knowledge of a wide variety of these different genres and composers and to have the confidence that they can give a competent comment on the musical content of different performances that they might experience, whether live or recorded.
We implement the curriculum as seen below on the medium term plan.
We measure the impact of our curriculum through the following methods:
- Summative assessment of pupil discussions about their learning.
- Images of the children’s practical learning.
- Interviewing the pupils about their learning (pupil voice).
- Pupil’s books are scrutinised and there is the opportunity for a dialogue between teachers to understand their class’s work.
- Annual reporting of standards across the curriculum.