What will our linguists and translators be able to do when they leave us?
By the end of their time at St Mary's CofE (Aided) Primary School, our Year 6 linguists and translators will have developed an appreciation and respect for other cultures.
They will be equipped with the necessary skills to communicate and express their ideas in another language at a basic level and to understand and respond to its speakers, both in speech and writing. They will have learnt basic Spanish vocabulary through a wide variety of topics, using films, stories, games and songs to enhance and consolidate their learning with increasing fluency and ambition.
They will have planned and participated in experiences that will have built their confidence in speaking Spanish to an audience and increased their enjoyment of this language.
We implement the curriculum as seen below on the medium term plan.
We measure the impact of our curriculum through the following methods:
- Summative assessment of pupil discussions about their learning.
- Images of the children’s practical learning.
- Interviewing the pupils about their learning (pupil voice).
- Pupil’s books are scrutinised and there is the opportunity for a dialogue between teachers to understand their class’s work.
- Annual reporting of standards across the curriculum.